Cuban Performs With Silvio Rodríguez After Controversial Remarks At Concert

(16) Bad Company / Lynyrd Skynyrd; $311,304; $31.44. 16. (New) Steve Miller Band; $242,576; $58.80. 17. (17) The Postal Service; $236,379; $41.41. 18. (20) Hillsong United; $197,990; $31.04. 19. (New) Willie Nelson; $159,801; $62.66. 20. (New) Juanes; $149,630; $54.60. Loading Slideshow Taylor Swift poses at the MuchMusic Video Awards Taylor Swift Performs at the 2013 ACM Awards Taylor Swift Performs On ABC’s “Good Morning America” Taylor Swift And Target “Red” Deluxe Edition CD Release Launch Party Taylor Swift Performs On ABC’s “Good Morning America” 2012 iHeartRadio Music Festival – Day 2 – Press Room 2012 iHeartRadio Music Festival – Day 2 – Show Teen Choice Awards 2012 – Arrivals 2012 iHeartRadio Music Festival – Day 2 – Show Elie Saab: Front Row – Paris Fashion Week Womenswear Spring / Summer 2013 BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards – Arrivals Taylor Swift FILE – This Nov. 22, 2011 file photo shows singer Taylor Swift performing at Madison Square Garden in New York. Swift’s single, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” is the top song for the week ending in Aug. 27, 2012.

A poster for the gig that never happened

A pedestrian bridge reached over 1st Street to Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. A glass dome crowned a single-story restaurant along Grand. Panorama: Inside Walt Disney Concert Hall with Frank Gehry Even in this embryonic form it was easy to see the influence on Gehry of Hans Scharoun’s 1963 Berlin Philharmonic. Scharoun produced for postwar West Germany a low-slung, open-hearted concert hall that was determined to look anti-monumental and avoid any comparison to the Nazi landmarks of the 1930s. Interview with Frank Gehry Frank Gehry on the making of Disney Hall Architect Frank Gehry discusses the creation of Walt Disney Concert Hall. Interview by Mark Swed. Gehry aimed to do something similar, but for cultural rather than political reasons. He wanted his design to protect the idea of the concert hall as refuge but also to embody the essential informality of Los Angeles. He wanted to demystify and democratize classical music, a goal that happened to match those of the leaders of the L.A. Phil, first Ernest Fleischmann and later Deborah Borda. Getting from design to finished building was a hugely complicated process even by the standards of civic architecture in Los Angeles. Work on the hall stalled by 1994, and the project nearly collapsed for lack of money. Once it was restarted in 1997 the year Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, opened to heaps of praise it quickly hit another crisis as Eli Broad and others moved to hire a second architecture firm to handle the working drawings for the complex design. Only when Walt Disney’s daughter Diane Disney Miller made a final gift contingent on Gehry’s full control of the design was the impasse broken.

The gig was to take place in front of 12,000 fans but the old borough council refused permission for it to go ahead. Health and safety fears were blamed but fans back in September 1973 thought councillors were “old fogeys”. Now a tribute concert aims to make up for lost time. Organisers said the anniversary concert by a tribute band would be a chance to see what had been missed. “Pembroke Castle had hosted Hot Chocolate and other venues had regularly hosted chart acts, but nobody had at that stage had anyone near the Stones,” said Malcolm Cawley – DJ BB Skone – who was 24 at the time. A poster for the gig that never happened The Rolling Stones were organising an European tour and had been offered the chance to fill a gap in September. Word quickly spread as the promoters advertised the event, even in the national press. Permission had not been granted by the local council however as Ann Dureau, who was a councillor in her 30s on Pembrokeshire Borough Council at the time, recalled: “The response was utter horror. The councillors said it would mean closing the whole of the main street and shop windows would have to be battened down. “They were saying things like ‘we’ll be inundated by hippies and wild people’. “There was a meeting and it was thumbs down completely when it came to the vote, although I voted for it. “Young people couldn’t believe that we’d lost such an opportunity and in retrospect it was a bold plan and it was a pity we didn’t grab a chance to see what would happen.” Jon Williams, the current Pembroke Castle manager, said health and safety had been the main issue behind the council’s refusal to grant permission but there had been other issues too. “I think the promoter came to Pembroke Town Council very late in the day, about a month before the concert was due,” he said. “The council called an extraordinary meeting to discuss it and in the interim the promoter went on to promote the concert so by the time it go to the meeting I think the council’s nose was out of joint a little bit.” Due to current regulations the castle can only accommodate 2,700 for the anniversary gig where Rolling Stone tribute band the Counterfeit Stones will headline.

Rodriguez, who came to Carcasses’ defense amid the controversy, included the 41-year-old pianist and leader of the jazz-fusion band Interactivo in his line-up of artists Friday at an open-air concert in the Havana neighborhood of Santiago de las Vegas. Without making any mention of the controversy swirling around Carcasses, Rodriguez presented his fellow musician as a “talent” and recalled that they worked together recently on an album. During Friday’s show, Carcasses provided piano accompaniment for Rodriguez on his song “Segunda Cita” and also performed two other instrumental numbers with other musicians. Carcasses did not make any remarks to the crowd of 300 people, but he told foreign correspondents afterward that he hoped he had put the controversy behind him. During a Sept. 12 official concert in Havana that was broadcast live on national television, Carcasses sang a song calling for free access to information and the election of the president by direct popular vote. The jazz fusion artist said Monday he had been barred indefinitely from performing at future state-run events because of his comments during the concert, which had been organized to demand the release of Cuban intelligence agents imprisoned in the United States. But authorities on the Communist-ruled island later reconsidered and lifted the sanction. The 66-year-old Rodriguez, Cuba’s best-known folk singer, came to Carcasses’ defense on Tuesday. He said his fellow musician had committed a “regrettable error” in pressing his demands at an event organized to call for the release of agents “who have sacrificed their lives for the security of the people.” However, as a Cuban citizen, Carcasses “has the right to express what he thinks in his country,” Rodriguez added. Considered heroes in Cuba, the four agents were arrested in 1998 and convicted of espionage in 2001, receiving sentences ranging from 15 years to life in prison. While a fifth agent who was also arrested and convicted of the same crime has since been paroled and allowed to return to Cuba, the other four spies remain in prison. The Cuban Five insisted they were spying on Miami’s Cuban exile community, not the U.S. government. Cuba says the men were sent to Florida in the wake of several terror bombings in Havana allegedly masterminded by anti-Castro militant Luis Posada Carriles, a former CIA operative. Follow us on twitter.com/foxnewslatino